Friday, November 21, 2008

Chicken and Artichokes

From my old CrockPot Blog-
1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package frozen artichokes, 8 to 12 ounces (I used 1 can of artichoke hearts, quartered)
1 cup chicken broth, (you may need to use the whole can)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (3 to 4 ounces) sliced ripe olives
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups hot cooked rice

PREPARATION:Rinse chicken; pat dry and set aside. In a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker combine the mushrooms, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, chicken broth, chopped onion, sliced olives, and wine. Stir in tapioca, curry powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add chicken to crockpot; spoon some of the tomato mixture over chicken.Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice.Makes 6 to 8 servings

***Notes***
This was the first time I ever made something with tapioca as the thickener. It turned out wonderful! The first time I made it, I left out the olives. The 2nd time I made it, I did make it with olives. I still didn't eat them. But my husband raved about it with the olives!

No comments: