Sunday, December 14, 2008

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

From my old CrockPot Blog-
I recently posted the recipe I use for Roast Chicken. I did cook that this week and had a lot of leftovers. I found this soup on my friend Kelly's cooking blog and I made it. It was fantastic!!! I am very much not a soup person, but this was really good.

  • 1/2 c. chopped carrot
  • 1/3 c. finely chopped onion
  • 1/3 c. chopped celery
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2T butter (I, of course, only use margarine)
  • 1/4 c. flour (soft white works great)
  • 2 14-1/2 oz. cans chicken broth (I use homemade from the freezer)
  • 2 c. cooked rice (I use brown)
  • 1 c. cubed cooked chicken
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 cup milk (I use Lactose-free 2% milk))
  • 2 T lemon juice
In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery and garlic in butter/margarin unil tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the rice, chicken, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 min. or until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk and lemon juice. Cook and stir for 5 min. or until heated through.
The only thing I did differently was that I added more water to cook the rice in the soup. That's it!

2 comments:

Tara B. said...

This looks good! I will have to add it to my menu plan for next week!

Mandy said...

Yum! This looks great--it would be such a great winter dinner with some bread bowls. Thanks for sharing!!